SAFE PRACTICES, DEDICATED TEAM, HEALTHY ENVIRONMENT
As an APi Group company, Northland prioritizes safety and is committed to zero incidents on our projects. By focusing on the health and safety of our team and environmentally-conscious operating practices, we live our values and transform landscapes into projects that strengthen communities without compromising on the environment. If you’re interested in learning more, please reach out to our team.
Commitment to Zero
Northland Constructors values the safety, health and well-being of all of our employees. Our goals and initiatives are designed to align with our customers and help develop partnerships. Northland is “committed to zero”; together we will work to develop and maintain a workplace free from incidents and unplanned events.
Northland’s safety management system is based off a comprehensive risk management strategy developed by APi Group. This program is known as “STEPS”; Striving Towards Excellence and Professionalism in Safety.
Northland maintains an evergreen strategic plan specific to safety / health and risk; these goals and initiatives are included in the annual business plan. This risk management strategy combined with strong leadership commitment have allowed the organization to attain best in class performance lagging metrics including the EMR and TRIR.
We promote and live by the following core beliefs:
- Zero incidents is achievable and is the expectation of everyone who works on our team.
- Every person is responsible for their teams safety.
- We care about each other. The safety and well-being of our team and their families is vitally important to us.
- Every person strives to improve the safety awareness of those around them.
- Everyone has the personal responsibility, authority and support to stop work if it is unsafe.
- All incidents are preventable. There is always a cause from which we can learn.
- We will not take shortcuts that compromise safety.
- Everyone is encouraged to voice opinions and ideas. Good catches and incidents shall be shared so that we can learn to be safer.
- Everybody wins. Safety, quality and production are achievable together.
- Safety never quits. Our families, friends and teammates need us to be safe all day, every day.
Safety never quits. Our families, friends and teammates need us to be safe all day, every day.
- Leadership Commitment
- Learning and Development
- Attitudes and Behaviors
- Performance Indicators
NORTHLAND'S SAFETY PROCESS
Northland understands that our work changes the land around us. We strive to be environmental stewards. We uphold this core value by prioritizing reduced operating impacts protecting natural resources, restoring environmental quality and protecting the health and welfare of communities we serve.
Environmental responsibility is the one of our guiding principles and we employ prevention strategies to minimize negative environmental impacts we cannot eliminate. Our goal is to meet or exceed federal and state standards through compliance with permitting requirements and internal processes. We live our environmental stewardship values by:
- Partnering with organizations that provide assistance on permitting requirements and solutions
- Environmental responsibility training and response planning
- Internal processes that monitor adherence to requirements
- Proactive equipment testing and scheduled maintenance
- Concrete and asphalt recycling programs
- Minimized equipment idling
- Contingency planning
- Continuous improvement
Industrial work changes the land, and when carefully planned and executed the built environment can support and add to the surrounding natural landscape. Northland provides environmental and industrial response services to ensure our projects are completed with minimal impact to the environment. Our response services include:
- Hazardous material incidents
- Spill remediation, response and recovery
- Soil sampling and lab chemical packing
- Hydro Excavation and vac truck services
- Jetter vac truck - line jetting
- Facility maintenance and services
- Decontamination services
- Trucking, hauling and material handling
- Water-related incidents
- CPR/first aid training
- Fire extinguisher training